Saturday 31 January 2009

Thee List of Music.

I decided to write a more interesting post for once! And hopefully I'll get in the habit. I love lists, so I'm going to indulge in writing one about my favourite music, ever! Not just any old stuff, but specifically the music which has had a big impact on me. Some of it has been there with me for years, others are very recent additions. It's not any particular type of music, and it spans composers, artists, and even a wee choir which is very close to my heart... =]



1. Biffy Clyro

Recent addition. They've been around for years, but Andrew copied me all their albums this summer, and I've hardly taken them out of my CD player [how quaint! I still have a CD player! lol] since. I love their lyrics and the style of their songs. One of the most original bands in the mainstream at the moment. I heart Biffy Clyro! Haha! [And the lead singer is quite hot too!]




2. Ella Fitzgerald.

First heard her songs for GCSE music, over 5 years ago. She was one of the most influential and famous jazz singers. She had this amazing ability for scat singing for almost whole songs - most jazz singers can do it for a maxmimum of 16 bars maybe. And a huge vocal range, nearly three octaves, which is phenomenally big. Her voice stuns me every time i hear it.








3. Nobuo Uematsu.

Different kettle of fish altogether! I owe this to Matt and Scott who, separately, recommended that I play his music for piano, especially the music from Final Fantasy. I've learned some of his stuff just over the last month or so. A lot of it is so hauntingly beautiful, and insanely enjoyable to play.


4. Roddensvale School Choir.

This is a choir from our local school for children with special needs. Mum got me their CD for Christmas this [last] year. I cried - actually wept - the first time I listened to it. The singing is so beautiful, so pure, and with so much meaning. The solos are particularly spine-tingling. I would highly recommend this to anyone. =]


5. Yellowcard.

Loved 'em for years. Despite being very generic pop punk, I love their sound! Mainly because they have an electric violin, which i am very jealous of. Compelling listening at times, although some songs are quite bland. Their earlier stuff tends to be better, although I love their 'Lights and Sounds' album. I heart electric violins! 'Nuff said. =]





5. Rise Against.

A fairly new addition, thanks to Matt [again!]. Still haven't got much of their music yet, I'll have to bulk my library up a bit. But I'm loving what I've heard so far. Similar to Yellowcard in some ways, but a little more musically interesting. No electric violins, sadly :P. Their lyrics are incredibly 'grabby' and they are the focus of the song, which is almost a foreign concept these days. The songs themselves are great, on a purely musical level.








That's enough for the moment! I may add to this list at some point!
Toodleloo!

2 comments:

  1. verrrrry interesting! I had no idea you were an Ella fan - you've inspired me to put more of her on! "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered!" la la la - cool! Keep 'em comin! xx

    ReplyDelete